Saturday, January 2, 2016

Planner Inserts

2nd day of 2016.

It is a Saturday, I just finalized my A5 size 6 rings Planner insert template. I am a very picky person, and love to customize things for my own requirements. Identifying my own needs, I have prepared 3 different page format.

FORMAT
 
 1. Blank
What more to say? As an artist, blank is the best. It is a clean slate that would allow all crazy sketches materialize.


2. 10mm Dot
When you need some loose guidelines, you would be appreciated when subtle Dots are there to guide your technical shaky straight lines.


3. 5mm Dot
It is a whole different level if you are a perfectionist. Everything must be pinpoint accurately on the page, you can count on this even friendlier Dots.

Don't just stop there! Push your boundaries to customize it!





COLOUR
By default, most people are used to having BLACK lines or dots or grids. Open your eyes to the spectrum light provide... or our pigments provide. Change your black lines to your favourite colour. In which case, I have done a Cyan colour Dots pages.
Choosing Cyan is not entirely because it is my favourite colour(As a matter of fact, it is not my favourite colour). It does comes with a pretty practical function. As an comic artist or animator, you would already have guessed.
Cyan (#00FFFF) is what some of the art material producers called "Non-photo Blue". It just means, "non-photostatable Blue colour", a kind of blue that would not be picked up by photostat (Black and White) machine. Which means, I can hide the fact I am a perfectionist (or a cheater?) sketcher that used the 5mm Dot when I scanned it in. :)


Actually, after doing some testing, it is not just Cyan. As long as the color saturation is highest in the color spectrum, it could also produce the same result. Example, Magenta(#FF00FF) and Yellow(#FFFF00). You may find Yellow quite hard to see when printed out though.

You think that is all? Not quite so.



PAPER
I am not a crafter. Even so, I know that there are a LOT of different type of papers available. There are different colors for a start, texture, sizes, thickness, embellishment, printings, borders... the list can go on and circle the earth many times.

If customizing planner inserts is a kind of craft, then this would be my 'official' first craft? to explore Kraft paper and Tracing Paper. If only there is white ink, then I could make the same on black papers too. Pity.

As you wish, that is the last tip I would share today.
with a Bonus. My PDF files of page formats, for both colours. Pay attention to their Right and Left alignment.
Left - holes on left
Right - holes on right